Old 20-09-2004, 09:00 PM
Gail Futoran

"Chris Hunkeler" wrote in message
Hello all,

Is it possible that a climber can sometimes revert to a

non-climbing form?

I've heard of shrub roses that became climbers
but I'm not sure of the other direction.

I planted Dublin Bay along with two other climbers a

couple of years
ago. Fourth of July and Iceberg have reached the top of

the pergola and
massed on top. Dublin Bay is still only at about the same

height as my
non-climbing roses, four feet.

I really enjoy this rose but boy is it slow to climb.

Cheers,
Chris

I'm not familiar with Dublin Bay, but I have
a 4 year old Don Juan that's still struggling to
reach the top of the arbor, while the New
Dawn on the other side reached the top and
beyond several years ago.

It might be the variety, or something about
conditions the plant doesn't like, or maybe
the individual plant isn't doing as well as
it should for whatever reason.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8