Old 28-09-2004, 06:33 AM
oknwht?

On 9/23/04 4:29 AM, in article , "Michelle
Fulton" wrote:

Hi, everyone :-) I have an issue that I hope someone in this group will be
able to help me with. I've read and posted to this group a couple of times
and was pleased with the knowledge and helpful attitude, so I'm back :-)

You wouldn't be just looking for email addresses would you? Mine is
accurate...if I didn't get junk mail just how would I spend my time??

A recent storm brought down some large tree limbs in my mom's yard.

Ouch. No one was injured I trust.
She had
some people out to trim the trees and they cut it up into fireplace size
pieces (almost).

Almost? Do you need a bigger fireplace...I would guess putting them in
sideways won't work...
I was the recipient of said firewood, which I have chosen
to store in the garage, instead of outside, because it stays dry

Good choice. When it comes to firewood-dry is good!
and
relatively bug free,

Did you know that some 'bugs' are predators and are good?

and rats won't nest in it if it's in the garage.

They won't? You have, of course, spoken to the rats about this particular
topic?
There's about a cord, or slightly less.

Is it less because of the bugs? Wow, they sure eat fast!

Anyway, I noticed a couple of days ago, these little piles of very fine
sawdust here and there amongst the logs, so there is something chewing
through the wood. Lots of somethings :-/ I saw one pile, looked like a
very small ant hill, that couldn't have come from wood above, because there
was no wood above it. This indicated to me that the creature

Creature usually means 'one'....do you mean creatures? I don't remember
anyone calling a bug a creature...anywhere....
was pushing
the wood up out of the log as it bores in, but when I cleared the little
pile, there was no hole :-?

I too am puzzled...

Being a bit worried about bringing such creatures into my home, I set off
two insecticide bombs and closed the garage, as I left for the day. I had
already done this once, the day I brought the wood home, because there were
spiders in it.

Oops...spiders are one of the predator bugs I mention above...they eat the
bad bugs! Maybe they would eat the wood eating...whatever they are
bugs...but alas you have killed them with your bombs...I might suggest that
'bombs' should not be used at anytime...it kills the good bugs also. In fact
it will kill all the good bugs and leave the bad bugs to carry on. Why?
Because of the number of good bugs versus bad bugs. I'll explain that
later...if you want.
I came home many hours later last night and blew the piles
of sawdust away so I could see if they reappeared. I looked and looked, but
could never see any bugs. However, I could hear them.

Where they singing? Did you recognize the tune? It wasn't the Beatles was
it? Did you notice an English accent.....?
This is scaring
me!!!

Oh, they were off key...nothing to be scared of. I sing off key all the
time...for effect of course.

Sooooooo, do any of you know of a creature that might do this? I believe
the majority of the wood is mulberry. Some of the piles of sawdust were 2
or 4 inches long and 1/2 inch deep at the deepest point. It is very fine.

Are you saying that there work was very fine...that is a mighty fine
compliment...
I'm not totally sure it is not excretion, but it still looks just like the
wood so I'm thinking the bug isn't eating it. However, there were a couple
of piles that didn't get blown away, so I can examine the stuff more
thoroughly if needed. I have turned over logs that it looked like the stuff
must be coming from and see nothing.

Don't tell me you go blind at that time! You can still see the log, can't
you??!
It is baffling,

But you can still see???
but I can see where
some branches might have been weakened enough to snap in a storm.

How can they snap in a storm...the wood is in the garage, isn't it?...are
you in Florida? If you are, get out right away! You will have more to worry
about than bugs in your sawdust pile...I mean wood pile than bugs! Move to
Canada, we only have snow storms to worry about...at least so far...

Thanks for any help!

Gary
PS: My message is meant to be humorous and I trust that I have offended no
one. The main point I wanted to make was that spiders are predators...it may
not be a good idea to kill them.
PSS: There are companies that sell firewood in clear plastic bags. Why not
but your firewood in clear plastic bags. Seal them shut. That will ensure no
bugs get into your house. Getting free firewood is a nice thing. There is
nothing like a nice fire in the fireplace. Did you know that it is also a
renewable resource?