Old 30-09-2004, 04:32 PM
Kira Dirlik

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 22:44:08 GMT, "dookie"
wrote:

at the suggestion (and reassurance) of this group i purchased and applied
the grass-only herbicide to combat the stilt grass infestation along my
creek. i was worried about the many ferns and wildflowers that the bamboo
was mixed up with and applied on a test area about a month ago...

it works great! stiltgrass is dead and gone and everything else looks
healthy. it's not cheap (~$35/qt., which makes ~12gal spray), and it sounds
like a pretty heavy-duty chemical...but if you're OK with that, it does
exactly what it claims. i wasn't even particularly careful about keeping it
off anything. i just did my 2nd application over a much larger area.

be gone, evil weed!

dookie

I've been pulling it out by the roots to keep my 7 acres clear of it,
but it grows faster than I can pull. However, where I pull it, next
year it comes back very sparsely, and when I pull those, the next year
it doesn't come back. I would worry about spraying in riparian buffer
zones. Every little stream around here ends up in Jordan Lake, which
already has some big problems with pollution.
In the next three years I should have it all gone, but will always
need to pull out those stragglers. However, no one else in my
neighborhood seems to be pulling any of theirs, so once I am old and
feeble, it will win. Hmmmm.... maybe I need to get a life. ha ha
Kira