Old 01-10-2004, 06:38 PM
anton

"jay jay" wrote in message

Hi. My UK seed catalogue offers seeds for a medium sized Korean pine
- p. koraiensis - which will produce pine nuts. Would love to hear from
anyone with any knowledge of this tree - eg. how high it will grow and
how long to produce fruit from seed, assuming UK climate of the south.

You could also consider the parasol pine, pinus pinea. [At least the French
call it the parasol pine, which is much better than the umbrella pine,
particularly as it doesn't keep the rain off.] Grows medium tall and very
parasol-like. It's the distinctively-shaped pine o fparts of the Med, and
the source of the pine-nut of Italian cuisine. I've just got my first
couple of cones afetr about 8 years from planting out small pots.

--
Anton