Old 02-10-2004, 02:26 AM
Susan Erickson

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 22:32:17 GMT, "J Fortuna"
wrote:

I successfully grow Phals, Dtps, Paphs, and a cochleanthes (though the last
has a bud-blasting habit, it's currently blooming and has a chance at a
second successful bud at this point, so I guess it counts as a success
though the conditions are definitely not ideal for it). I have never tried
anything else yet.

Based on all this would you advise me to go ahead and try an intergeneric
Onc hybrid, or should I leave it alone? I am also considering getting a
miniature cattleya at some point and putting it right under a lamp. Anything
else I could try in these conditions? It's really important to me that I
don't get something that does not really have a chance at flourishing here,
but I am feeling like experimenting a bit with non-Phals.

Your advice will be greatly appreciated!

Joanna

Joanna -
Some of the little catts are hybridized for windowsills. Send an
email to or look for Alan from Gold Country. He plans on his
plants blooming next to phals and with that type of light.

As to the large Onc. hybrids - I would skip them. They are or at
least can be HUGE. They like lots of light. I grow mine with
the Ascda. and full sized catts.

I think some of the Encyclia are less demanding of strong light,
but I may get contradicted. I have not had a lost recently.
SuE