Old 02-10-2004, 02:31 PM
J Fortuna

It's at the National Arboretum, I believe, and I think it starts on Saturday
at 10am and goes on for three days. See, I know about it. It's just so hard
to keep that craving in check for another week, and that plant nursery is
conveniently located on my way from work to home, so it only makes sense to
stop by, right?
Joanna

"Al" wrote in message
news
Indeed. You are so close. If you miss it you will be sorry. Plan to go.

I don't know why I can't find a link to the show information... But I

know
it should be someplace

"Pat Brennan" wrote in message
Joanna,

What are you thinking? The NCOS show is next weekend. I would be

saving
my pennies for that.

Pat

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
My local plant nursery has some really attractive intergeneric hybrids
for
sale, including Bllra Marfitch 'Howard's Dream' and Colm Wildcat, and I
am
quite tempted to buy one of them, however I would not want to buy them

if
my
conditions are such that they couldn't possibly do well.

I grow on the windowsills or rather on shelves next to north-facing
windows.
I supplement this with growlamps so that I can achieve medium light

right
under a lamp, but I am not sure whether I could have medium light at

leaf
level for a Bllra since they are rather tall plants. So the light is

low
medium, but mostly low.

The temps in our apartment are usually around 70-80 degrees Fahrenheit.
Sometimes in the summer the air-conditioning doesn't work though and

then
it
can be in the upper 80s or in the low 90s for a short period of time.

In
the
winters, especially at night the temp might be in the 60s.

Humidity-wise we try to keep it above 50% at all times -- easy in the
summer, harder but doable in the winter.

I successfully grow Phals, Dtps, Paphs, and a cochleanthes (though the
last
has a bud-blasting habit, it's currently blooming and has a chance at a
second successful bud at this point, so I guess it counts as a success
though the conditions are definitely not ideal for it). I have never
tried
anything else yet.

Based on all this would you advise me to go ahead and try an

intergeneric
Onc hybrid, or should I leave it alone? I am also considering getting a
miniature cattleya at some point and putting it right under a lamp.
Anything
else I could try in these conditions? It's really important to me that

don't get something that does not really have a chance at flourishing
here,
but I am feeling like experimenting a bit with non-Phals.

Your advice will be greatly appreciated!

Joanna