Old 04-10-2004, 10:36 AM
Dick

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 15:45:03 +1000, "blank" wrote:

Well, after 72 hours of total darkness in my 4' aquarium I removed the
covers and:
thankfully, the fish are all still alive,
most of the plants are fine (java moss has suffered),
a bit of the algae has gone, but most is alive and healthy.

So to those advocating 72 hours of darkness as a guaranteed algae cure I
say: Nonsense, it is a myth. Don't bother even trying it. I did, and it
doesn't work.

Reassuring to know fish can survive 72 hours without food isn't it?
I tried the darkness routine for only 48 hours to treat Ich. Didn't
work for that either, but I feel better about missing a couple of
feeding times.

dick