Old 05-10-2004, 11:16 AM
Dick

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 19:48:53 +1000, "blank" wrote:

"Dick" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 15:45:03 +1000, "blank" wrote:

Well, after 72 hours of total darkness in my 4' aquarium I removed the
covers and:
thankfully, the fish are all still alive,
most of the plants are fine (java moss has suffered),
a bit of the algae has gone, but most is alive and healthy.

So to those advocating 72 hours of darkness as a guaranteed algae cure I
say: Nonsense, it is a myth. Don't bother even trying it. I did, and

it
doesn't work.

Reassuring to know fish can survive 72 hours without food isn't it?
I tried the darkness routine for only 48 hours to treat Ich. Didn't
work for that either, but I feel better about missing a couple of
feeding times.

dick

absolutely i have been biting my nails for 72 hours non-stop and my
wife has been even more uptight but all is well, which is very reassuring
except it doesnt kill the damn algae anyway it was an experiment i had to
try and thank god no harm has been done

At least you tried. Algae takes lots of trying. There are many types
and causes. To get any useful suggestions you will have to post more
specific information about your tank, light schedule and power, fish
population, feeding habits, etc.

dick