Old 14-10-2004, 05:13 AM
Brian S.

Boiling yeast will immediately kill it. You can't get yeast too hot
otherwise it will die off.

When the yeast is cold, it is in a "hibernation" stage until warmed up.

Brian S.
"Fish-Forums.com" wrote in message
Temp to warm or the yeast not stored properly can cause this

Want to win a FREE new co2 system or a lighting system check out our
forum for our newest contest coming up

http://www.fish-forums.com

Http://www.aquatic-store.com

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 12:43:05 +0100, "Jon W"
wrote:

After adding a load of new plants to my 60cm tank a few weeks ago I
installed a yeast fuelled CO2 generator. This bubbled away happily for

about
10 days and the plants all seemed in good health, even my stoic old Java
fern started producing fresh green leaves.

The problems started when I tried to get a second batch going. The yeast
(which is Allinsons bread making yeast can be used for brewing according

the tin) has been kept in the fridge since it was opened. I have tried
everything to get a brew going but nothing seems to work. I have boiled

the
water and let it cool, left the yeast out for a few hours to let it warm

up,
made started cultures and added it to the body of the sugar solution.
Nothing has worked.

I'm sure the system isn't leaking at all and nothing has changed since I
made the first batch. The last thing I want is an inconsistent supply and
fluctuating pH. Does anybody have any advice or should I just admit that

can't brew and leave my tank CO2-less? Unfortunately I can't afford a
pressurized system right now and all my new grow tube is growing is

algae,
lots of it!