Old 14-10-2004, 01:36 PM
Steve

Antipodean Bucket Farmer wrote:
Hi, Everybody,

It is springtime here, so I just bought some small
potted capsicum (bell pepper) plants. I got two
labeled simply "Orange" and two labeled "California
Yellow" (no technical names.)

I also got four tomatoes, but selected all the same
variety: "Moneymaker."

This got me wondering, with these different varieties
(breeds, I guess), are the flowers compatible at all?

If a bee hops from a flower on the "Orange" capsicum
plant, into a flower on the "Yellow" capsicum plant,
would the pollen on its feet trigger the genetic signal
to make a capsicum?

Can other plants, like, say a Beefsteak tomato and a
Moneymaker tomato do that?

If so, how might that effect the fruit/veggie?

Thanks in advance...

Cross pollination should make no difference in the fruit at all. The
pollination process is for producing seeds.
If you plan to save the seeds to plant next year, cross pollination can
be a problem. If the part of the vegetable that you eat is the seeds
(corn, for example) cross pollination can cause a problem.

Steve