Old 15-10-2004, 03:59 PM
Dmitri Priimak

My 5.5 is in dH ( degrees of hardness ).
In ppm it will be 5.5*17.86=98.23 ppm
Your KH in dH will be is from 6.7 to 10 dH.

Well, I guess I saturated water with CO2 juts by bubbling it. My mistake
was to assume that not much of it would be absorbed in such a way. So,
my question is. How do you recommend to rise KH?

--
Dmitri Priimak

Szaki wrote:

KH 5.5 is very low. How you measured it? Is that in ppm? My test strip shows
120-180 ppm KH is ideal.
Once I read, should be 3-4 bubbles / minute CO2 is a good rate. Some people
construct simple regulator.

JS

"Dmitri Priimak" wrote in message

Well. I just measured KH and it is around 5.5 thus according to the
chart you gave me link to it means CO2 was more than 100 ppm. But that
does not seem to be possible since all I was doing was spreading fine
CO2 bubbles with power head. Could it be that there were to many
bubbles? Power head was providing suction from DIY yeast reactor.

Dmitri Priimak

Szaki wrote:

As I heared adding CO2 can change the PH of the water, so you have to
monitor closly.
KH, pH, and CO2
The CO2 content of your aquarium is important if you are growing plants
(though check out a discussion on which plants need supplemental CO2,

and

which may actually do worse with it!). But CO2 is also of interest to

the

general aquarist because it is intimately related to the water's

carbonate

hardness (KH) and pH; dissolved carbonates will raise both KH and pH,

while

addition of CO2 will lower pH. Here are some charts showing the

relationship

between CO2, pH and KH, along with a discussion of the actual chemical
reactions. You can read CO2 content indirectly by from the combined pH

and

KH readings, from a good test kit, or try this simple metering method.

A few plants are able to take in carbon directly from dissolved calcium
carbonate (a procedure called biogenic decalcification by some). This
procedure in turn may cause your pH to rise.

You can easily make your own carbonate buffer from common chemicals. You

can

use Calcium Chloride to increase GH without changing the alkalinity and

pH.

Some suggest you can use hydrochloric acid in extreme moderation to

reduce

the buffering capacity of your water (this article also discusses an
empirical result of CO2 content vs. KH).

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/kh-ph-co2-chart.html

JS

"Dmitri Priimak" wrote in message

Hi All.

I am somewhat new to this hobby. And today I made CO2 system with yeast
and was injecting bubbles with the power head and pH dropped from 7.2 to
6.2 withing about 4 hours. Luckily I don't have fish in the tank yet.
So, why did it drop so much? From what I read I did not expect to
dissolve much of CO2 by just bubbling it though water. Is there anything
wrong with my water? Is the hardness somehow related to it.

--
Dmitri Priimak