Old 15-10-2004, 09:06 PM
Kitsune Miko

Direct, literal translations from the Japanese are
always tricky.

I got this message from a poetry group where the
Japanese speaker used his Japanese dictionary for a
definition. There is no mention of Trident or in this
definition.

Kitsune Miko

The haiku was:

Momiji

Frogfoot leaves
Dancing in the sunlight
Blushing

Copyright 10-14-04 by the
Poetess Kitsune Miko

"Momiji" is ambiguous word in Japanese. My Japanese
dictionary explains
three meaning as follows.
1.The phenomena that leaves turn yellow or red in late
autumn.
2 .Leaves turned red
3. Another name for maple
and, in my Japanese-English dictionary Momiji; 1.a
maple; 2.red leaves
So, I translated "momiji" into ".red leaves", but I
had better change
it.

--- Peter wrote:

Alan:

The Yoshimura book is several decades old and in the
last three years I
found that many of its references and listed usages
have been replaced in
colloquial Japanese.
A language is a living thing and terminology does
change over time. I have
found that out while visiting my native Hungary
where my speech pattern and
use of idioms were referred to as "quaint" by the
youngsters.
I don't believe that the lists of terms as tree
names used in Yoshimura's
book are subject to copyright. But I could be wrong.
I am very supportive of Nic's idea of having a
Romanized Japanese - English
tree name cross reference list.

Cheers.

Peter Aradi
Tulsa, Oklahoma

From: Nicolas Steenhout

wouldn't put much stock in it. I just got these

straight out of
Kodansha's Romanized Japanese-English Dictionary.

Ok, fair enough

Since this is a classic bonsai book, long in

print, which
everyone who is serious about bonsai should have, I
recommend
that you simply refer them to this resource for
Japanese tree
names.

While I understand the concept and where you're
coming from, I
have to say that as a *user*, if I came to the IBC
site and was
looking for information, only to be referred to a
book, I would
not be impressed.

There are *several* factors why some people don't
acquire books
or why
refering them to a book from the site isn't always
the best
option.. Could
be that it can't be afforded. Could be that there's
no space to
keep books.
Could be that the person in question doesn't want
books. Could
be that the person lives in a small town where the
only bookstore
(if there is one)
doesn't carry this book. Could be that the person
wants the
information at the time they are surfing (like 3am).
Etc.

Just my 2 cents.

****
++++Sponsored, in part, by Boon
Manakitivipart++++

****
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

++++Sponsored, in part, by Boon
Manakitivipart++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

=====
****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott