Old 16-10-2004, 08:09 AM
Dmitri

Rick wrote:
"Dmitri Priimak" wrote in message

My 5.5 is in dH ( degrees of hardness ).
In ppm it will be 5.5*17.86=98.23 ppm
Your KH in dH will be is from 6.7 to 10 dH.

Well, I guess I saturated water with CO2 juts by bubbling it. My mistake
was to assume that not much of it would be absorbed in such a way. So,
my question is. How do you recommend to rise KH?

--
Dmitri Priimak

one of the problems with DIY CO2 systems is the inconsistency of the amount
of gas and PH swings. When you first mix up the batch it produces at a high
rate which slowly diminishes until it runs out. If you use DIY you need two
bottles and alternate them so that you can keep your levels reasonably in
the ball park. I don't think at about 100 PPM that there is any need to
raise your KH which in turn will raise your PH. I would shoot for about
30ppm of CO2 which should mean that your PH would need to be around 6.9 or
7.0. In my planted tank my KH is lower than yours but my PH is higher.

Rick

I see. One thing I want to mention is that my pH in tap water was around
above 8 to lower it I used Seachem "Liquid Acid Buffer" which brought my
pH down to about 7.2. This suppose to skew tables which indicate CO2
level isn't? And by the way do you know exactly how it (Liquid Acid
Buffer) works? It is written on a bottle "Converts alkalinity (KH) into
CO2". Does is it mean that it brakes CO3 and HCO3 into CO2 and whatever
left over from it? If so what chemical is used in that "Liquid Acid Buffer"?

--
Dmitri Priimak