Old 15-10-2004, 11:14 PM
Alan Walker

-----Original Message-----
From: Nicolas Steenhout

I think that starting a reference is a good idea, too. Listing
the
Japanese names for major tree species is very practical and
doable.

As you likely know, we already have a bit of "dictionary"
covering some
horticultural and some japanese terms:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/bondic.php
There's a decent start here, but plenty of holes. Also, some
"definitions/translations" need revisiting for accuracy, e.g.
suiseki.
As I am working on revamping the site, this section will be
transformed a
little bit. The transformations intended will be that the
information will
be easier to manage and to add to. Categories could be added, as
many as we want, and including a category for major tree species
name in japanese would be a fantastic idea. I'll set it up that
way so data can be added once the new site goes live (I'm
*hoping* to have it in a month's time, but don't hold your
breath).

I just don't really see a practical (and legal) way to get
people to this
extensive copyrighted information besides referring them to the
source
ultimately.

In general, I think that we have enough knowledgeable people to
be able to summarise info, or produce "custom" information. In
that summary can then be added something like: If you want more
information, here are some book as resources", or something like
that.
Nic
Exactly! I think you are right on track with this, Nic.
Alan Walker

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++