Old 06-11-2004, 08:43 PM
Michi Henning

" wrote in message
om...
read my post to Michi that I made this morning, I think I explain things a
little better about what I meant. To the novice it is too easy to see a

co2
chart and say, "oh, all I have to do is put some discus buffer in the water
and I will have more co2!" That is why I said it is innaccurate unless you
are adding co2 to the water to alter the ph

Yep, you are 100% correct about that, we try and stop that kind of
thing before they do that:-)

Partly, we have to blame the CO2 charts. They show KH and pH
as the row and column units, and the CO2 value as the lookup value
in each cell. In other words, the table suggests that KH and pH are
inputs, and the CO2 level is the result, but that's wrong, of course.

It would be better to change the charts to label the rows and colums
with KH and CO2 values, and make the pH the lookup value.
People would be less likely to fall into the trap of assuming that
lowering their pH will raise the CO2 level. (And the charts would be
just as usable.)

Cheers,

Michi.
--