Old 07-11-2004, 04:16 PM
GA Pinhead

Ray:

Cosmetics for the sauce, the seeds make white bits that really detract from
the appearance.

John!

"Ray Drouillard" wrote in message
Why get rid of the seeds? The seeds contain a lot of the flavor.

I put our hot peppers in the toaster oven and set it at 250 degrees.
This let them dry slowly. Once they were crisp (and still hot), I put
them in old jelly jars, screwed the lids on tight, and let the jars
seal. This probably wasn't necessary -- I have stored dried peppers in
paper bags for a number of years without any hint of spoilage. They got
eaten by bugs one year, though.

Ray Drouillard

"GA Pinhead" wrote in message
Jo:

Yes they can be frozen, I would stem/seed them first. We put japalenos

in
the food processor, freeze them in snack size bags. Break a chunk off

use.

I dry them whole in the oven on the lowest temp then grind them up.

We also make cayenne pepper juice - stem/seed cover with vinegar add

salt
and garlic to taste. Cook till very mushy. Put through food mill.

Use
liberally!

John!

"Jo M" wrote in message

I harvested some cayenne peppers. How do I preserve them? Can they

be
frozen ...whole or with seeds removed? I cut some up and removed

the
seeds
and left them to dry. Will these be able to be ground up into

cayenne
powder?

Jo