Old 11-11-2004, 03:24 PM
kush

"Brian S." wrote in message news:lmCkd.19327$V41.8327@attbi_s52...
Hey Dave,

Thanks for the info. I currently have a 65 watt compact fluorescent light
which has a 10,000K and 460nm Actinic side to it.

Since I used this in my 29 gallon, I have it sitting on top of my 55 gallon
right now, but will be getting the 130 watt 48" light tomorrow by UPS.

Regarding fertilizer; I never was much one for wanting to fertilize plants.
I was hoping I could get away without using fertilizer because it is already
pretty costly to keep this tank up and running. I haven't used fertilizer
before and my plants really seem to do good, but only lately they have
really slowed down. That is why I didn't know if it was because I am using
sand now instead of rock (harder for the plants to get nutrients since
everything stays on top of the sand).

I did go home on my break a little bit ago. When I left, the bell was about
half-full with Co2. When there on my break, it had reduced to about 1/4 so
it does seem to be taking it in.

I think I found the reason why my Co2 isn't making too much.. and it is
because I keep my house at about 68 degrees (heating is expensive). Because
it is cool in the house, the yeast isn't producing much at all. I placed
both bottles in a gallon bucket filled with really hot water, and the rate
of bubbles went to about two per second. So, I just need to get a big
container (like my 10 gallon tank sitting around), fill it with water, and
put a cheapo heater on it.

Brian S.

Two ideas.

First, I put my soda bottles on top of or just behind the light hood.
The lights keep the yeasties warm and happy during the daytime and, at
night when the lights are out, and the plants don't need the CO2,
bubble production slows down again.

Second, if you haven't already, position your diffusor near the filter
output or somewhere there is a strong flow of water across the bottom
of the bell.

kush