Old 13-11-2004, 02:48 PM
Myrmecodia

"Ray" wrote in message ...
I don't think a terrarium is a good idea,

Nepenthes need a LOT of light - along the lines of vandas. How are you
going to do that in a terrarium?

Before I had my greenhouse, I grew many Nepenthes in terrariums or
under fluorescent light. Humidity, not light, seems to be the biggest
limiting factor indoors, so a terrarium or grow chamber can help. In
the greenhouse, I grow them in a variety of exposures, from bright
light at the top of the greenhouse to shadier spots with the Paphs.

A bigger problem than light is that Nepenthes are typically BIG plants
and will rapidly outgrow most terraria. Some people keep seedlings
and trade them out when they get too big. That's not really
satisfactory IMO, because then you never see the really mature
pitchers.

N. alata and especially its hybrid N. Ventrata are well suited to
windowsill or under-lights culture.

In a smaller terrarium, try Nepenthes gracilis or N. ampullaria. N.
gracilis is a miniature scrambler. N. ampullaria produces very long
vines. However, it also produces rosettes of pitches at ground level,
and the climbing vines can be pruned.

Lowland and intermediate altitude plants are best for indoor growers.
A centrally heated house is too warm for most highlanders.

Regards,

Nick