Old 20-11-2004, 02:47 AM
Kirsty

We have installed 4 tanks for the garden and a tank for excess water, to
flush the toilet. At present the cost of installing these tanks isn't
'worth' the money, as water in Australia is so cheap.

However, water restrictions will probably increase, rather than decrease
,in the future. Global warming is here to stay, and Australia will get
dryer as a continent as a result.

We water our whole yard on the tank water during summer, and throughout
the rest of the seasons we flush the water down the toilet.

Between 2 people we use less than 200 litres of 'town water' per day.
This is the amount that would be allowed on a level 5 water restriction.

Do you think Sydney is going to have even more severe water shortages
than it has now ? From recent 'studies' it indicates that this will be
the case.

Unfortunately our politicians and the bureaucrats that run our country
only need to worry about a 4 year term. They don't have very many, if
any sustainable long term plans in regards to water planning, including
grey water systems.

So your tanks in 5 years time may seem more 'worth it' than they do now.
Monetarily you may not recoup your loses for some time, but you will
find that continues water restrictions hamper they 'water way of life'
we have become accustomed to.

www.auckett.net/permaculture

SG1 wrote:
"BCL" wrote in message
news
I have just spent about $1700 on a couple of water tanks plus the
necessary fittings just to store less than $5 worth of water (5000
litres).

Admittedly I will get $400 back from the water board but wonder on
reflection whether it was worth the money and effort just to be able
to water the garden and wash the car!

I suppose if the drought doesn't break in about a year's time I won't
be washing in bottled water but still...

Regards
Bruce

Yes, now you can thumb your nose at the bureaucrats who want to stop car
washing & gardening. Selfish *******s don't want anyone to enjoy life just
coz they don't have one.
Jim
In sunny SW Qld.
Will storm today. I washed the rain gauge.