Old 21-11-2004, 03:32 AM
Rod Out back

"Andrew Puddifer" wrote in message
With all due respect,

I agree that SOME city people use ridiculous amounts of water, I have
seen it. But by far the biggest wasters of water in large cities are
businesses.
But you have to consider that installing a tank in a surburban area is
not as easy as backing up that 32ft tray truck the tanks come in on,
hoisting it up with the Hiab crane and plonking it down into position. I
know that's how it's done in the country, but what do you do if you have
no access to the place you want the tank to go? Who pays for the crane
hire? It increases the costs of a tank install a LOT, and that's
probably why larger towns get the rebate, to offset costs a bit. You do
know a small crane costs at least $500 an hour?
Most rural properties also have simple gravity fed tank systems, urban
installations are far more complex. Often the tank wil be downhill from
the house, requiring pumps.
So what if someone wants to wash their car with the rainwater they
save? Isn't it far better than using town water?
Did you know that in large cities you have to wash your car? The
pollution pretty quickly destroys them if you don't, and a lot of us
can't afford to swap cars every 3 years......most people I know don't
water their lawns either......
It's not a cash reward, it's a rebate. For some, that money may be the
difference between installing a tank and not. Have you considered that
some people don't have a spare $1500 for even a modest tank???
It's easy to be idealistic if you don't have to live the situation.....

Regards, Andrew.

Andrew,

As a matter of fact, it IS just as easy as backing up a truck!

3 or 4 people can roll a 3000 gallon poly tank off a truck, and move it into
position easily(would you like names??). Most of these tanks have the option
to be supplied with first flush diverter and pressure pump. Not hard to do.

The bloke who has delivered our poly tanks(Mostly 3,000 & 5,000 gallon) for
5 years now doesnt own a Hi-ab on his truck and he would have delivered a
few hundred in this district alone in this time. He just rolls them off the
truck.

Most people in places like Brisbane that I have seen buying a tank are
getting something in the 750-1000 gallon size (~3200 - 4000L) of poly tank,
and these are easy to move around with a few people. Hooking them up is
about a half-hour once you have the bits & pieces.

Adding a rainwater tank is not a hard thing. Pressure pumps do away with the
need for tank stands, and poly tanks are more robustly handled than a
corrugated iron tank. I hardly think many people are looking to buy
something large enough to need a hi-ab.

Cheers,

Rod.......Out Back (Who actually does use his Hi-ab to move his stock water
tanks & troughs...)