Old 23-11-2004, 12:46 PM
William Hill

(David Sussman) wrote in message . com...
See Vanda:
http://www.consumergroup.com/vanda.html

1.) I think something bad may be happening to my Vanda plant. It has
been a bit underwatered lately but I have a feeling that the blackish
coloration in the yellower leaves may be something worse like a
fungus. So far it has only been that the bottom most leaves have been
yellowing. I have been giving it more water. If this is a fungus, do
you think the plant can still be saved?

2.) If so, what should I use to treat it? It is currently spiking and
I really hope that this is not going to kill it.

3.) How important is it for a Vanda to have leaves near the base of
the roots? This one has been loosing them around there (I broke a few
off).

I greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks,

-David

Hi David, Most "palm tree effect" in Vandas is caused by allowing the
plants to go below 50 degrees / or / underwatering. If you want plants
to retain all leaves they must be kept warmer than 50 & well-watered.
I am surprised Kenni has not rung in on this one as she grows
beautiful Vandas. There is nothing wrong with "palm trees" except the
appearance, but for commercial growers it is important to maintain all
leaves for "salable plants". Good Luck, Bill