Old 09-02-2003, 06:27 PM
R & L Porter

Default Combining Roses with climbing vines

"Bob Bauer" wrote in message
flowered vine of some sort, but I certainly don't want to kill my roses.
Does anyone know if there would be a danger of harming my roses?

CJ

Clematis is the answer CJ. Roses and Clematis work well together.

The Clematis needs a structure to grow on and the rose vines work
well. Clematis doesn't put out too much foliage and block all the
light for the rose leaves, so it makes a great companion.

CJ, I second Bob's opinion. I have at least seven clematis growing near
or on roses. They have not harmed the roses in the least. In fact,
a clematis growing up a once blooming Old garden rose will give
it a few extra weeks of colour. The white clematis that I have is
called Henyri -- big, beautiful white flowers, but it still hasn't given
me a lot of them yet. I am hoping this (3rd yr) will be the year!

Laura