Old 26-11-2004, 03:39 PM
Scott Rogahn

Default Looking for a better needle valve for CO2

I am looking for a better needle valve. I am presently using a cheap home
depot valve that just doesn't work. You can go from no bubbles to blowing
the reactor of the side of the tank in about a ¼ turn even at pressures less
than 5PSI. I presently use this by closing the valve all the way and
adjusting the pressure to get the desired flow rate. This doesn't work very
well the flow rate fluctuates considerably, from almost dead stop to way too
fast. It is a new regulator due to the old one developing a leak an
emptying my bottle, but I had the same problem with the old regulator. The
new regulator can be seen here

http://www.beveragefactory.com/draft...-premium.shtml

Look at the one titled Commercial Grade Double Gauge Regulator It may not be
the best regulator out there, but it is at least as good as the one it
replaced. (It was from a beer taper I bought used twenty years ago)

Present setup is a 5pound bottle with a meant for beverage dispensing. The
reactor is from the Hagen CO2 natural plant system seen here. All used in a
20 gallon tank.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...81&N=2004+2021

I don't have problem buying a $50 valve if it works. If I have the same
problem I will be very unhappy.

I am considering the Dwyer RMA-151-SSV valve/flow meter shown here. Based
on its published flow rates, and the fact that it is meant for gas, unlike
the home depot which is designed for water

https://www.dwyer-inst.com/htdocs/FL...MPrice.CFM#CRA

Other options would include the omega FL-3607G shown here

http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=FL3600_FL3800

I am open to a needle valve with out a gage. But I can't find published
data that indicates they would work to meter very slow flow rates of a gas.

Once I can reliably control the flow of CO2 I may run the gas into the
intake of the Ehiem filter. But I don't want to end up with the same amount
of noise the filter makes when it sucks air for the surface extractor.

What ever I do I need a well-controlled bubble count

Any advice is appreciated

Thanks

Scott