Old 26-11-2004, 09:27 PM
Christopher Green

On 25 Nov 2004 16:24:16 -0800, (Faye) wrote:

I have found out the name of a plant (thanks to you guys) that I want
to put in my garden, however, it seems that it might be classified as
a weed in some parts of the world. How do I go about finding out
information about these sort of classifications. I am in Adelaide
Australia.
Yes, the plant was Silene Maritima Otheriwse known as Sea Camion, or
CATCH FLY.

Faye.
P.S. Thank you for the previous replies.

Silene maritima is not considered a noxious weed anywhere I know of.

Its relatives are the troublemakers: S. noctiflora (Night-Flowering
Catchfly) and S. latifolia (White Cockle). These are considered
noxious in some parts of the northern tier of the US and in many
provinces of Canada. (One implication of a noxious-weed designation is
that landowners are required to abate any such plants found on their
land.)

--
Chris Green