Old 27-11-2004, 05:08 PM
Bruce

Old gardeners used to add it direct to the soil. I believe that it has a
reasonably high nitrogen content and it darkens the soil so helping it to
absorb heat. It has fallen out of favour because it is no longer safe to
assume that it has a 100% organic origin, which would include coal. Having
said that I added some to my bean bed last spring, donated by a fellow
allotment holder, and they certainly flourished. So I'd definitely use it.

Bruce

"Klara" wrote in message

We have a big bag of soot the sweep left behind. We only ever burn wood,
so no coal soot is included. Is it ok to put this on the compost? Or are
there any other uses for it?

Thanks-

--
Klara, Gatwick basin