Old 06-12-2004, 11:38 AM
Dick

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 20:30:16 -0500, "Shagster" wrote:

What are other people's thoughts on filtering a planted tank with activated
carbon??? Will the carbon filter out all of the fertilizers I'm already
adding to my water???

I've heard that maybe there is a "special" carbon for planted tanks that
helps with water clarity without neutralizing the fertilizers..

Thoughts?
Troy

I quit using carbon in my tanks about 3 months ago. I see no change
in my fish, plants or water. I add no chemicals to my tanks, but rely
on 20% water changes twice weekly. All plants are "low light," so no
CO2 and the plants growth is great. I had one annubias in a 10 gallon
tank that grew to the top. I separated it into two parts and put the
top half in my 29 gallon tank. It has now grown to half the tank
height. Three of the annubias in my 75 gallon tank now reach half the
tank height.

I think what you do depends on how much you want to do. If you feel
safer and more in control using additives, then it is worth the peace
of mind to do so. It is all for you in the end. I like to keep the
maintenance simple.

dick