Old 08-12-2004, 07:51 PM
Someone

David Ross wrote:
Someone wrote:

My soil is really dense, very rich, and right now super soggy. tried a
google search and did not get too far. please help.

I use fallen leaves to mulch my beds. I use them without chopping,
shredding, or composting. (But I also compost leaves.) The leaves
provide a cushion when it rains, keeping the soil from compacting.
In the summer, they keep the soil cool and moist. Evetually, they
form a compost (actually leafmold, which I think is better).

If your soil is really soggy, it might be clay. My soil is mostly
adobe clay, really heavy and sticky when wet. I broadcast a lot of
gypsum on the soil just before the rainy season (the "not so dry"
season here in southern California). It reacts with the clay to
make it somewhat porous, helping excess moisture to drain deeper.

thank you very much. I think it is clay. It feels that way and it
packs down pretty badly. I am nervous about using leaves, the trees
seems like overgrown weeds next to the flowerbed I am working. Does
that matter?