Old 10-12-2004, 05:28 AM
The Drunken Lord

On 2004-12-05, Eric Schreiber eric wrote:
John wrote:

I just wondered what everyones opinion of Snails are? Are they good or
bad for a planted tank?
What has been your experience? Algae eaters or plant destroyers?

Depends entirely upon the species, and how you feel about snails in
general.

For example, take Pomacea bridgesii, which is commonly referred to as a
mystery snail, and sometimes an apple snail. In my experience they eat
debris and dead leaves, but never harmed live plants. Pomacea
canaliculata, also sold as an apple snail, is a living lawnmower.

http://www.applesnail.net/content/sp...a_bridgesi.htm
http://www.applesnail.net/content/sp...naliculata.htm

Are any of the snails of aquaria edible?