Old 13-12-2004, 03:06 AM

You are on the eddge of the minimum light level for a 55 gal.
You can still do a nice non CO2 approach with a few simple
improvements.
Adding another 40 watt light would help.
Adding the Excel will help
Adding a good reflector will help
Adding Onyx sand or flourite in place of the large pea gravel will
certainly help(Save the vacuumed dirt, the mulm from this tank and mix
it in to the new substrate). Adding about 1/2" of peat on the bottom
will also help.

KNO3, KH2PO4, Traces, are very cheap:
www.gregwatson.com

A 1lb amount of each would likely last you several years.........

I'd do this for a semi low tech easy 55 gal tank routine:
============================
Add excel
Add another light(80W total) add the reflector,
Get some ferts
Add the substrate(you can use MPV turface/Shultz's Aquatic plant
soil(see Home Depot etc)). The Turface/SAPS are the same thing, but one
is 8-12$ for 50lbs and the other is 6-8$ for 10lbs. This stuff is light
weight and makes replanting a trouble sometimes, but.......you can add
about 40-50-% sand and this will add the weight, use 2-3mm sand and try
and match the color.
Other wise go 100% onyx or Flourite when you get a chance.
You'll still add the mulm and peat to the bottom layer.

If you chose to use Excel, the better method would be use the water
changes to keep thing is good shape. I'd do once a week, 50% and then
add those ferts back after wards.
I'd dose 1/2 teaspoon of ther KNO3, 1/8~1/16" teaspoon of the KH2PO4
and 10 mls of trace liquid (a solution of the Trace mix plantex+Boron 2
table spoons in 500mls of water).

Feed fish and add Excel as suggested.
Next water change, repeat.

This will give you fairly slow but healthy growth and allow you to grow
most plant species.
Excel cost add up but the cost saving may outweight the other issues
with intial start up cost/having to learn how to use CO2 etc.

Excel works well on low light tanks, but it is only about 1/3 as
effective as CO2. But it's generally easier to add to a tank than CO2.
Once CO2 is set up correctly, things go very smooth and doinhg the
water change and dosing method makes life very easy and little
testing.While I cannot save you $ on Excel(but can on CO2 systems), I
can help with the ferts and the DIY ferts allow excellent control over
the individual N and P and Trace levels. K is added to excess as less
of it is needed than N and KNO3 ghenerally provides enough alone.

This might sound complicated, it is not.
Water change
Dose 3 things
Add Excel as suggested

I'd redo the substrate first, then the lights later.
Triton bulbs are very nice and last a long time. I normally mix on eof
those with a cheap cool white which I'll replace every 6 months or so.
Triton bulb goes till it dies.

Regards,
Tom Barr