Old 14-12-2004, 02:18 AM

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 00:53:42 GMT, "J Fortuna"
wrote:

Vic,

I am generally happy whenever a Phal blooms for 2 months or more -- though
some of them bloom a bit less, and I have several that have bloomed for 6
months or more.

The same plant might bloom for a different amount of time on two consecutive
bloomings, and I am guessing that that is related to the conditions that it
is in. For example: I have a Dtps Kenneth Schubert that bloomed for a bit
less than two months the previous time and it had only 4 flowers then, and
then it rested for about 7 months, and now it has been in bloom since
08/21/2004, has had opened 13 flowers thus far (some of which have wilted,
but some of which remain), and it still has two or three buds that I think
it intends to open during this flowering season.

The shortest blooming period that I have experienced in any Phal was 1
week -- but that was not a healthy plant; it has gotten healthier since
then, but has not reflowered for me yet.

So as you can see the answer varies enormously, but I use 2 months as my
expectation -- any phal that does not meet this expectation is
underperforming in my opinion.

Best,
Joanna

Thanks Joanna and Claude,

When I first bought the plan, its blooms lasted four or five weeks,
but as I said, I don't know what it had been doing before it came home
with me, so I figured it was best not to judge by that experience.

Last night the one open bloom looked a little off. I don't know how to
describe it better. Not quite wiltly, but just a little tired, so
that's what got me wondering. I was starting to think that it might
have a short lived blooming cycle and I might not get to see all the
buds opened at the same time. Tonight, however, it looks just fine
again, so I'm hoping that your two month window is going to apply to
my plant. My fingers are crossed.
--Vic