Old 15-12-2004, 02:00 AM
Allyb

Default red sea nitrate test question

I have three questions about my nitrate test kit. I've written red sea, but
I thought I would give you folks a try as the response may be quicker

1. How do you read the expiration date? It's just impressed into the
cardboard, and it's almost impossible to read, but I think it says 06 5 15
There could be something between the 06 and 5, but I can't make it out.

2. In reagent bottle A, there is a bunch of chunks that settle to the
bottom of the bottle. They are black and grey, kinda look like sand, and
don't mix in no matter how much I shake. Is this normal?

3. And this is the most important question. The instructions say to check
the color after 5 minutes, but I've noticed that the solution continues to
darken for an hour or so. The final color is approx 10ppm higher than the 5
minute color. Is it really right at 5 minutes?

I had a bad kit that led to a nitrate poisoning incident, so I'm prone to
being paranoid now.

Thanks for any input you can offer! Allison