Old 12-12-2004, 07:46 PM
bk

wrote in message
A few folks have asked/commented on this particular orchid. This is the
first time that I've had spikes (3 of them each over three feet long) all
blooming at once and the smell really is overpowering. I can understand
the person that decided to 'pitch' it. As for the individual that wanted
info in how to 'force' blooms; the best advice I found with regard to this
species is to pot them in Pro-Mix. It really does work (or at least it did
for me). All my orchids (in western PA) were summered outdoors (it rained
constantly this past summer) and brought in before the first frost. They
came indoors and were placed under a 400 watt metal halide fixture at the
perfect time - 12 hours of daylite and 12 hours of dark. Yet another
helpful hint garnered from this group. Thanks to all who have so much to
share with regard to the care of orchids. Anyone remember the guy who used
to input to this group who claimed that orchids out-of-bloom were
butt-ugly? I miss him

We have a few Sharry Babies. All in a mix of Aliflor and wood chips, They
have bloomed like crazy, except for this year. This I received a single
spike, six is normal. Last year's spring rains effected these guys alot. As
for blooming, we elieve in the fertilize weakly on a weekly basis. 20-20-20
then 10-50-10. I alternate each week. USe Superthrive twice a month along
with espom salt to green em up.