Old 13-12-2004, 10:24 PM

Over time some orchids tend to become rootbound. The spaces between
the pellets get filled up with roots so there is less room for air,
water, and access to the fertilizer by the growing root tips. If your
plant is starting to slow down or it seems like it is always dry a
repot and root trimming can perk it up again. When you pot-up enough
pellets usually fall out to open up the rootball but sometimes you have
to get the clippers out and hack away some of the roots and pellets.
I try to dig a cone in the middle of the rootball after snipping off
the bottom inch of roots and pellets.

henry wolf wrote:
I have been growing my dendrobiums in expanded clay balls for quite

some
time now with fair results. I am wondering if I should keep some kind

of
repotting schedule, as I do in more conventional media, because there

is
no breakdown in the clay. I do change the water occasionly of course.
Please give me your experiences.