Old 17-12-2004, 02:28 AM
fran

And most dams in NJ are under 30' high, as I recall. Serious flooding
is often because people have built on the flood plains, all the way
into the 10 - 15 year flood zones (areas around Trenton come to mind).
In the northwest part, near the mountains, there are some river
valleys that some might call canyons, but not via the terminology I
learned.

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 08:50:38 -0500, Stephen Henning
wrote:

fran wrote:

No canyons that I am aware of, though there are some streams flowing
through deep gullies. I guess you can call those 'canyons' if you
stretch the point a bit.

Majored in geology at Rutgers, so I think I'd of heard of any
canyons.....

During the heavy rains this past summer NJ had several hundred dams fail
and serious flooding, so they must have some kind of canyons. I guess
it is all nomenclature. What is called a mountain in the East is a hill
in the West. What is called a valley in the East is a gully in the
West. We usually don't use the term canyons in the East, we call them
Water Gaps except in Pennsylvania's Grand Canyon at Wellsboro. The East
is more glacial while the West is more volcanic and platelet related.
So we have more glacial valleys. The west has big erosion canyons.