Old 02-01-2005, 07:04 AM
Travis

Default Okay, I now yearn for more formal borders

escape wrote:
Today I gardened all day. It was 82 sunny degrees. I had tons of
ornamental grasses to cut down and they were everywhere. The front
garden is such a big mish mash of things I am truly wanting to
formulate a design and make it a bit more permanent. I want open
spots to change perennials around and use annuals as I seasonally
change the beds, but this constant upkeep is getting tiresome. I
never gardened neatly. It's not me. However, I find by letting
the front yard become too wild, the neighbors may not share my
sense of style and I think it's unfair to them. The back garden is
mine to do what I want, but in the front I really do need to get
something more foundational and sturdy boned.

So, since design is my worst or least known subject, can anyone
recommend any shrubs which will have vast differences in color,
texture and height which will thrive in very hot Texas summers,
with little water in blazing sun? I want plants to have different
foliage colors, possibly evergreen...anyone?

Native plants will be your best bet.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5