Old 04-01-2005, 09:30 PM
Andyd

Default RFI: Can I cut back Holly Fern and Liriope to the ground?

Before you answer "They are evergreen, why would you want to do that?"
please read the rest of the post.

A gate to my garden was left open and some deer got in and hosed
several things that I don't usually cut back in the winter, Holly
Ferns and Liriope (as well as Oak-leaf Hydrangea, which I will cut
back, and some other things that are not an issue). The Holly Ferns
have been generally stripped of all leaves, the Liriope are now half
the height they used to be, and obviously munched and odd looking.

Should I just cut these back to the ground and let them start from
scratch, or just let them go as is? Maybe I should be cutting them
back annually, I don't know, but they have gone years with no trimming
and they looked (past tense) great.

Thanks.

andyd