Old 13-01-2005, 12:54 PM
Doug Kanter

Hypodermic needle, salt water, goodbye currants.

"sherwindu" wrote in message
Unbelievable how long this thread has gone and sorry to prolong it, but it
brings to mind a similar issue with a neighbor of mine. They planted
black
currants not knowing that these plants can cause a disease in
white pines (white pine blister), and possibly take
out my white pine. They claim they got the currants from a friend who
says they

are a disease resistant variety, but who knows. If I wait for signs of
disease
on my pine tree, it may be too late to save it. Who said gardening was an
uncomplicated and relaxing pastime?
Sherwin D.

Michelle C wrote:

I decided to post this in a new thread because I didn't want it to get
lost
in the old one.

This will be my last post on the subject, and I just wanted to thank
everyone for responding.

I have limited experience with neighbors, as I lived at my parents home
until I was in my mid-20s, and at my new home ever since. My parents had
teh
same neighbors throughout those 20+ years, and they were all very
easy-going. They would never object to vines infringing on their
property.
(They were also avid gardeners).

Likewise, my neighbors at my new home have been the same people until
these
new neighbors moved in four years ago. The previous neighbors - and the
ones
who border the other sides of my property were also very easy-going and
would not object to such a thing. (In fact, one of them has vines growing
on
*my* chain link fence that we share, and I gladly trim them when
required.)

Anyway, I guess it is my limited experience with neighbors that led me to
believe that these new neighbors would not object to the vines, and made
me
consider them to be unreasonable in their stance.

I believe most people agreed with me that the neighbors are
over-reacting,
but the other side has been well-represented too. Enough people wrote in
defend my neighbors' point of view that I have to reconsider their
'crankness' as being a bit more 'normal' than I originally thought.
Thanks
to those who presented the opposing view, as it was a learning experience
for me.

I will trim the vines for the neighbors, and if they have any more
objections, I will take them down. But at that point I will reconsider my
friendliness with them, and keep them at arms-length. It is still my
opinion
that friends should be a bit more accomodating. If they prefer to be
neighbors instead of friends, so be it.

Thanks again for all your responses. I have learned a lot from all of
you.

Michelle

PS - You've got to admit that this topic sparked a lot of participation
and
some interesting debate! ;-)