Old 20-01-2005, 08:37 AM
len gardener

g'day luke,

um a safe distance from any house foundations, roads, driveways,
sewerage drains etc.,. oh around 40 or 50 meters.

and no matter if you put it in the ground and keep the top trimmed to
the standard shape, the root system will still develop to the fullest.
we went to the bat caves up near rocky i forget exactly how deep we
were but there was this thick as a mans arm fig root still going down.

if you didn't keep it trimmed it most certainly would grow into a
fully fledged tree.

best thing keep all those type ficus out of suburbia.

len

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 15:29:18 +1030, "Luke"
wrote:

I have got a lovely 6ft high standard ficus in a pot, my wife would like to
plant it in the ground however i have heard these things can grow rapidly
and the root system could grow into the foundations. What I would like to
know is if i do plant it in the ground what would be a safe distance to do
so from the house. If i do plant it can i expect it to grow into a fully
fledged tree or will it keep it's standard size. We mainly want to plant it
to provide more shade in our yard.

Thanks
Luke

--
happy gardening

my e/mail addies have spam filters you should know what to delete before you send.