Old 25-01-2005, 08:31 PM
Elaine T

Papa Red wrote:
I have tons of these plants that not only are growing all over in my
neighbourhood, it is treated like a weed and pulled out of the ground
and thrown away. Thanks for any information that you can supply me with
about this plant, and any other kinds of plants that I might find
growing here on Miami Beach, Florida, that I could safely grow in my
freshwater aquariums.
Pax Vobiscum,...~Dean.

Pothos is a tropical vine native to Indonesia and southeast Asia. I saw
huge pothos vines climbing trees in the rainforest in Malaysia. The
leaves were the size of dinner plates and the vines climbed over 30 ft.
high. I was amazed at the difference between that and my little potted
pothos.

I grow clippings of pothos with roots in the water and vines growing
across the hood and trailing down the tank. It gives the tank itself a
nice, natural look and pulls nitrates out of the water without my having
to worry about CO2. My understanding is that pothos can't grow fully
submerged. None of mine have ever shown any inclination to sprout
submerged leaves - only roots.

There is a lovely plant called Mayaca fluviatilis or bog moss that is
native to southern Florida streams and also sold at fish stores.
http://aquat1.ifas.ufl.edu/maflpic.html It looks sort of like Rotala
wallichii and grows easily under moderate light.

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__