Old 27-01-2005, 09:48 PM
Elaine T

Ozdude wrote:
"js1" wrote in message

On 2005-01-25, Elaine T wrote:

I grow clippings of pothos with roots in the water and vines growing
across the hood and trailing down the tank. It gives the tank itself a
nice, natural look and pulls nitrates out of the water without my having
to worry about CO2. My understanding is that pothos can't grow fully
submerged. None of mine have ever shown any inclination to sprout
submerged leaves - only roots.

This is how I use my pothos as well. Sometimes it takes a while for the
roots to sprout, but once it does, new leaves aren't far behind.

Is this the plant also known as "Devils Ivy"?

Where are these roots? In the filter or in the tank itself?

Oz

Yes, Pothos is known as Devils Ivy. The latin name is Epipremnum
pinnatum cv. 'Aureum' or Epipremnum aureum. I root the pothos directly
in the tank. I'm not sure how I you could go about cleaning a filter
with roots in it without disturbing them too much, unless you have a sump.

To root the pothos, remove the leaves from the bottom two or three nodes
and submerge them. Put the vines somewhere across the hood or down the
outside of the tank where they receive moderate light. I sometimes use
an airline suction cup or some masking tape to hold the vines in place.
Pothos is not at all demanding. In time, roots will sprout at the
nodes and start to grow down into the tank. In small tanks, I've had
them actually reach the substrate.

--
Elaine T
at work and my .sig file isn't