Old 28-01-2005, 11:24 AM
jane

On 28 Jan 2005 10:36:16 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

~
~In article ,
~"Oxymel of Squill" writes:
~| very dangerous advice if the word of Brussels is to be believed. The EU
~| recently declared the teabag (a construction od leaves and paper) to be an
~| 'animal product' and banned Cardiff Council from adding them to its
~| composting process
~|
http://www.independence.org.uk/abc_n...hp?t=1&id=1169
~
~Not at all. That is nonsense perpetrated by the Little Englanders,
~whose only skill appears to be in persuading the (admittedly stupid)
~UK population to believe their lies.

The actual problem is that some people make tea by putting milk and a
teabag in a cup or mug then adding hot water, so the milk (definitely
an animal product!) may well be on the teabags.

Personally I shiver at the thought of putting water onto cold milk and
teabag, as the resulting tea tastes awful! One of my work colleagues
makes it like that, and I didn't realise for some time why her
offerings tasted weird compared with everyone else's, until one day I
was watching...

Now we'll no doubt have a discussion on the benefits of whether it's
tea first or milk first :-)))

~If you take a further look, and bother to find out about the reasons
~for the rule (which isn't what is said), you will find that it is
~rooted in an attempt to get particularly unscientific and deliberately
~negligent counties (like the UK) to avoid creating another epidemic
~like the foot and mouth one. The rule might be ridiculous, but the
~fact that such rules are needed because we can't trust our own
~government to look after our own interests is worse.
~
or folk don't know how to make tea????

I compost all my teabags (definitely no milk added), fwiw. For a while
I also composted work's, which was a very large number but the storage
buckets kept going mouldy between my weekly collections and some folk
just fished out their bags sopping wet and shoved them in without
squeezing so it was often awash... urgh.

Ah the perils of trying to be green...

--
jane

Mark Twain