Old 28-01-2005, 01:01 PM
Spider

Paul Giverin wrote in message
I'm just about to reorganise one of my beds and I plan to plant it in a
cottage garden style.

Definite inclusions so far a- Delphiniums, Aquilegia (various),
Geranium, Echinacea, Euphorbia and possibly Lavender.

Any other "must haves" that I should consider? The bed is south and west
facing and gets full sun from 11am onwards. The soil is light, well
drained, and fairly sheltered.

Cheers,

--
Paul Giverin

Hi Paul,

Yes, you must have masses of single daisy flowers: 'Shasta' daisies,
coreopsis, asters, heleniums, rudbeckias, erigeron - keep mostly to
single-flowering forms, for 'cottage-garden' credibility and especially to
attact bees and hoverflies. (Most double-flowered plants are sterile and
offer nothing for wildlife; they are showier, though, and the flowers last
longer because they can't be pollinated, so don't 'go over' as quickly. For
that reason, just grow a few favourites.)

Lavender isn't a "possible" - it's a definite, especially since you have the
right conditions. Also try and make room for Rosemary.

Also consider: Liatris, Lupins, Crambe cordifolia, Verbena bonariensis,
linaria, gaura, thalictrum, penstemmon, pinks (dianthus), hardy fuchsias,
veronicas and veronicastrum, lilies and alliums.
For a froth of mid-border two-tone roses, try Rosa 'Ballerina' and/or
'Marjorie Fair' - no scent, but a great filler.

Definitely consider pots for the porch/front of the house and for 'dotting'
around when colour is sparse: lilies and pelargoniums are good for this, as
are tender bedding fuchsias. I love the sunny cascade of Bidens, but this
is too bright for some people! For a pretty cascade of blue (or sunny
ground cover), try both Convolvulus sabatius (previously C. Mauritius) and
Veronica prostrata.

Spider