Old 28-01-2005, 10:32 PM
Paul Giverin

In message , Spider
writes
Hi Paul,

Yes, you must have masses of single daisy flowers: 'Shasta' daisies,
coreopsis, asters, heleniums, rudbeckias, erigeron - keep mostly to
single-flowering forms, for 'cottage-garden' credibility and especially to
attact bees and hoverflies. (Most double-flowered plants are sterile and
offer nothing for wildlife; they are showier, though, and the flowers last
longer because they can't be pollinated, so don't 'go over' as quickly. For
that reason, just grow a few favourites.)

Lavender isn't a "possible" - it's a definite, especially since you have the
right conditions. Also try and make room for Rosemary.

Also consider: Liatris, Lupins, Crambe cordifolia, Verbena bonariensis,
linaria, gaura, thalictrum, penstemmon, pinks (dianthus), hardy fuchsias,
veronicas and veronicastrum, lilies and alliums.
For a froth of mid-border two-tone roses, try Rosa 'Ballerina' and/or
'Marjorie Fair' - no scent, but a great filler.

Definitely consider pots for the porch/front of the house and for 'dotting'
around when colour is sparse: lilies and pelargoniums are good for this, as
are tender bedding fuchsias. I love the sunny cascade of Bidens, but this
is too bright for some people! For a pretty cascade of blue (or sunny
ground cover), try both Convolvulus sabatius (previously C. Mauritius) and
Veronica prostrata.

Thanks for that. Its certainly given me plenty to think about.

Lupins will probably be there because the wife likes them a lot. There
are already penstemmon and pinks in there so they will stay. There used
to be lilies in there (pink perfection...very fragrant) but the mice got
the bulbs and I now grow all my lilies in pots.

I do like asters but the conditions aren't really right. In the past
they suffered terribly from powdery mildew. I've grown coreopsis from
seed and also bought from the garden centre but their reputation for
being short lived seems justified and I never seem to get more than two
seasons out of them.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

--
Paul Giverin