Old 02-02-2005, 03:55 PM
Franz Heymann

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Franz Heymann wrote:
"VX" wrote in message
s.com...
I've got some sales literature that came in a Screwfix order

about
device for making compost called the ComposTumbler that-

supposedly-
makes good compost in 14 days because it has the facility for
turning rather like a cement mixer; you turn it every day and

this
allows the process to speed up somewhat. All was well until I

called
the freephone number and heard the prices- £299 and £399 for the
medium and large ones respectively and for the small garden-porch
model, £199.

It is a rip-off. There is not even the faintest possibility that

any
home composter will produce compost in 14 days.
It is being sold at around 10 to 20 times a reasonable price.

If these reelly are that good I *might* be interested since

whatever
it takes to make compost normally is probably too much effort for

me
with my physical limitations. But this does sound a little
expensive! Anyone know anything about these?

It's just ridiculous. If it's small enough to turn by hand, it's too
small to make compost. Put it in the same compartment as shredders,
flame-throwers, and wormeries: just another way of separating the
innocent from their hard-earned. Gardening is a simple business, and
those who do it on next to nothing can get better results than those
who spend thousands. These sharks are just trying to cultivate the
idea that everything has to cost money before it'll work.

Hear hear.

Franz