Old 04-02-2005, 08:16 AM
Lady Blacksword

Scuppernongs are a native grape. Check out the Biltmore Estate Winery
website for info. And try googling for it.
Remember though, Pat, that native varieties of grape tend to grow faster in
their natural areas, so consider carefully where you put it, as you can only
trim a grape vine back so far before you make it susceptible to disease and
insects. My fiance warns: "Once encouraged and growing, you may not have a
fruiting plant, but you will have lots of plant."
Note: Scuppernongs do not always fruit as regularly as some other grapes. If
you want a light grape with sweet flavor, seeds, and thick insect resistant
skins, you could try a "pineapple" muscadine (one variety, there are
actually quite a number of sweet white muscadines). It's just as tasty, but
more manageable for someone who's never grown grapes.
The best thing, however, would be to have a long conversation with someone
who has grown a wide variety of grapes in this area.

Murri

"Patskywriter" wrote in message
thanks for those links--i read the articles and decided that i'll stay
with the
cinder blocks for fruits/veggies, but i won't hesitate to use treated
lumber
for tropicals, flowers, etc.

i suppose it's almost time to get my seeds started. i have four
minigreenhouses
at the side of the house and i'm anxiousl to get going! i have so many
seeds i
might not have to buy so many plants this spring/summer! (although i did
promise a couple of buddies that we were going to visit big bloomers in
april
or may.)

say, does anyone know anything about growing scuppernongs? i never even
heard
of 'em before i moved here (durham), but i'm thinking maybe i should make
a go
at growing them. i wonder how many years it takes for the vines to bear
fruit
...?

pat