Old 07-02-2005, 05:21 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
bigboard writes:

| Why not? As is normal in English, the word "earthworm" has both
| a specific and generic meaning - in the former, it means an individual
| of the genus Lumbricus (NOT necessarily terrestris) and, in the latter,
| it means any worm that lives in the earth.
|
| I can suggest a fourth one - you are using the word "earthworm" in
| a ridiculously specific sense.
|
| In the sense of those that live in tunnels in the earth? If by ridiculously
| specific you mean 'correct' then I agree with you.

No, by "ridiculously specific" I am implying "incorrect".

| If you want to refer to the species
| Lumbricus terrestris, then please use that name - otherwise be aware
| that the term also includes other worms, some of which ARE common
| inhabitants of the earth in the UK and widely recommended for
| wormeries.
|
| 'Earthworm', in every other person I have ever spoken with, refers to those
| that live in the soil and leave casts on the lawn. Earth meaning 'earth',
| and worm meaning 'worm'. Hope this is clearer for you now.

Then perhaps you should get out a little more (and probably read
a bit more). If you look around, you will find that Lumbricus
rubellus is commonly (even normally) called an earthworm, and many
people claim that it works in wormeries.

You will have to look a bit further to find the more general uses
of the term "earthworm", but I suggest looking at the OED as a
reference that summarises how words of the English language are
used in practice. Please don't invent your own meanings without
saying that you are doing so, as it merely causes confusion.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.