Old 07-02-2005, 04:26 PM
bigboard

Nick Maclaren wrote:

Then perhaps you should get out a little more (and probably read
a bit more). If you look around, you will find that Lumbricus
rubellus is commonly (even normally) called an earthworm, and many
people claim that it works in wormeries.

You will have to look a bit further to find the more general uses
of the term "earthworm", but I suggest looking at the OED as a
reference that summarises how words of the English language are
used in practice. Please don't invent your own meanings without
saying that you are doing so, as it merely causes confusion.

I'm sorry if using 'Earthworm' to indicate a type of worm distinct from a
composting worm confused you. I would have imagined that the meaning could
be easily grokked from context.

--
In the old days, it was not called the Holiday Season; the Christians
called it "Christmas" and went to church; the Jews called it "Hanukka"