Old 07-02-2005, 04:55 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"suspicious minds" writes:

| Genarally speaking most non marine worms are "earthworms"

Yup.

| those most suitable for wormeries are brandlings (Eisenia foetida) and
| redworm (Lumbricus rubellus)

You could well be right - I don't know about that.

| Lobworm is used for (Lumbricus terrestris) look at any UK coarse(
| freshwater) angling site, aka night crawler in America.

Yes, I know that, but have never heard it outside the sea angling
community, and I don't have much contact with that.

| There are two marine species of lugworm, black lug (Arenicola defodiens )
| and blow lug ( Arenicola marina) some dictionaries will refer to lugworm as
| a lobworm but I have never heard any UK sea angler call the marine lugworm a
| lobworm, look at any UK sea angling site
| Lobworm =non marine
| Lugworm = marine

Well, not everyone who talks about such worms is a sea angler, you
know :-)

Actually, I have heard sea anglers refer to lugworms as lobworms,
and the OED confirms my recollection. It could well have been a
local usage, possibly even one that has now disappeared.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.