Old 08-02-2005, 10:17 PM
Kay

In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains

these words:

I do not have any failed worms on my farm. They are thrivind and
rotund.

Rotund doesn't sound much like brandling worms. You're not using
earthworms, by any chance?

I bought them at great expense from a firm which sold them as worms
for composting.
Hoever, Kay used to have a url to a site on worm composting. I think
it was produced by her better half. (The site, that is, not the
compost. {:-))
There, it was stated quite unequivocally that it was unnecessary to
obtain special worms for a wormery, and that garden earthworms were as
good as anything.

It's a bit misleading, that site. He means that by adding garden soil
preferably turves or something with a high level of humus, you'll soon
get your own supply of brandlings which breed quickly and like the high
humus conditions of the compost heap - ie brandlings are one of the
several species of worm that are around in the garden, and it's a bit of
a waste of money to buy them - if you have the right conditions, they'll
breed, if you don't have the right conditions, even bought ones won't be
happy.
--
Kay