Old 09-02-2005, 01:20 PM
Kay

In article , Steve
Harris writes
I was getting ready to sow a few seeds indoors and looked at a packet of
Nasturtium "Empress of India" and it says "Sow direct" March to May. So

I'm suspicious of this "sow direct" lark since a neighbour failed with
some "sow direct" sunflowers (while mine started on the windowsill were
great). Mind you, the rodents around here probably ate his seeds.

Sunflowers are very attractive to slugs, and it was probably those that
got his sunflowers. Nasturtiums are less attractive.

I grew 'empress of india' last year, sowing in pots and planting out at
about 4 inches. Worked well.

I don't get anywhere with sowing direct as my garden is shady and damp
and absolutely full of slugs.
--
Kay